Saturday, June 13, 2015

Episode 1: Genesis 1.0

The story is quite simple.  I was in a toy store in Columbus, Ohio and saw a stage prop that the owners purchased to display some of their toys.  We loved it!  I thought "Why can't I build a sturdier version for myself?"  Months passed but the idea did not.  It simmered.


I decided that a Tardis should be gifted - the Doctor wouldn't just abandon it or send it into the void and my wife, Lynnet, would love a Tardis for her birthday, on June 27.  It was decided.  I would build it while she was on holiday in Costa Rica for Desmond and Dylan (my children).

After seeing various images from Tardis Builders.com, I thought a "shed" was too mundane, and most end up storing shovels and other implements of garden destruction.  I want to enter the Tardis with my spouse and warp time and space and a "wet/dry" sauna would certainly do that!

There you have it - a Tardis sauna.

I researched different styles of Tardis' as it has regenerated as often as the Doctor.  My favorite Dr. Who was Tom Baker, as he was my PBS high school buddy.  The Tardis from this era is known as the Newberry prop.


I nipped some pictures to also follow but then realized later that they were the Tom Yardley-Jones prop which came later.  So I began the project with a mixture of the two and then later corrected it to reflect the Newberry Prop.

Tom Baker is shown in the Tom Yardley-Jones Tardis.

    
Here is a comparison of the two related Tardis'.  There are subtle differences:  color of the "Police Box" sign,  the angle of the roof, the way the roof is attached, etc.  I also used some basic plans, but recognized that they did not jive necessarily with the construction materials I had available at Home Depot.

Episode 2:  The Base

No comments:

Post a Comment